THE HANDOUT 6
- Credits : 3 SKS
- Meeting : 6 (Sixth)
- Date :
- Topic : Letter Part III
- Sub-Topics : Complementary Close, Signature, Enclosure/Attachment
- Target : Understanding the letter of part III
- References : Suryanto dan Hetty Rachdiana S. English Business
Correspondence. 3rd Edition.Bandung; Humaniora. 2009, pp. 13-14
- Contents :
The use of a complementary close should be in line with the salutation.
|– Dear Sirs, Sir,
– Dear Mesdames, Madam, Gentlemen,
– Dear Mr. J. Brown,
|– Yours faithfully,
– Yours faithfully,
– Yours sincerely,
Note: Only the initial letter is capitalized in the complementary close.
Under the complementary close, the name of the company is written in full capital.
Yours faithfully, Yours faithfully,
FOR NATIONAL TRADING CO. PP. THE KRAKATAU STEEL CO. LTD
In this part, the name, sign, and the status of the writer are written completely at the end of the letter.
FOR BROWN & SONS LTD
If the sender of the letter needs to mention an or some additional documents that are added in the letter, the writer writes Encl. or Incl. at the left side of the bottom.
It has the same meaning with Enclosure but it is usually used in the electronic mail in which you can send several documents along with the letter.
- Exercises :
- What is the essence of complementary close in a letter?
- What is the function of a signature in a letter?
- Why is complementary close so important in a letter?
- What do you think if the signature is changed with a stamp?
- Tasks :
Please write five examples of each of the above parts and then explain how you differentiate between complementary close, signature, and enclosure or attachment!